See History Timeline

Established

24 January 1571

Miguel Lopez de Legaspi founded the City of Manila.

Joaquin, Nick (1990). Manila My Manila. Vera-Reyes, Inc. p. 137, 178.

6 February 1579

Diocese of Manila was established

Aluit, Alfonso (1994). By Sword and Fire: The Destruction of Manila in World War II 3 February – 3 March 1945. Philippines: National Commission for Culture and the Arts. pp. 83–85

14 August 1595

Pope Clement VIII raised the Diocese to the status of an Archdiocese. Creation of the three new dioceses: Nueva Caceres, Nueva Segovia and Cebu.

"History – The Second Cathedral 1591-1600". Manila Metropolitan Cathedral-Basilica Official Website. Retrieved on 2013-03-22.

3 May 1572

Tondo Church was established by the Augustinian Friars. Fray Alonzo Alvarado, OSA was the first minister.

Mendoza, Rose Marie. "History of Sto. Niño de Tondo Parish Church". The Many Faces of Tondo Parish.

21 May 1599

Malabon, formerly known as Tambobong, was founded by the Augustinians as a visita of Tondo. However, it must have existed previously, as one document clearly indicates. The town was composed of two small islands, Nabotas and Maysilo, both visitas of Tondo.

Galende, P. 1996. Angels in Stone: Augustinian Churches in the Philippines. Intramuros, Manila: San Agustin Museum San Agustin, Gaspar de, O.S.A., “Conquistas de las Islas Filipinas…”, Parte Primera, El Manuel Merino, O.S.A., Madrid, 1975, p.668

17 May 1614

The visita in Malabon became an independent parish under the avocation of San Bartolome Apostol. It was in this year that Fr. Luis Gutierrez, OSA was named vicar prior. During this year, the convent was relieved from paying any taxes to San Agustin Monastery “because it was very poor and the stipend given by the King was almost nothing”.

“Libros de Gobierno de la Provincia del Santissimo Nombre de Jesus de Filipinas”, Augustinian Archives, Valladolid, II, folio 58 v.

1765

The first visita was established in Caloocan under the parish of Tondo. This was found in the first settlement in Libis Aromahan (Sitio de las Espinas) now known as Libis Espina

Galauran, Fausto. Ang Kasaysayan ng Simbahang Katoliko ng Kalookan. (1964)

April 20, 1771

A decree was made causing the friars to instruct the faithful of Navotas to attend Masses in the adjacent town of Tambobong.

Galende, P. 1996. Angels in Stone: Augustinian Churches in the Philippines. Intramuros, Manila: San Agustin Museum

1791

Fr. Andres Patino, O.S.A. was assigned as the parish priest of San Bartolome de Malabon. He later supervised the construction of the bridge linking Malabon with Tinajeros. It was during his stint as parish priest that the celebration of Second Centenary of the parish was celebrated.

Jorde, Elviro, “Catalogo bio-biografico de los Religiosos Agustinos de la Provincia del Santissimo Nombre de Jesus de Filipinos…”, Manila, 1901, p. 486-487

8 April 1815

The Christian community in Caloocan was canonically established as the San Roque Parish by the Archbishop of Manila, Juan Antonio de Zulaibar, O.P. Pastoral care was entrusted to the Augustinian Recollects.

Both the accounts of Galauran (1964) and Serrano (with the annotations of Joaquin, 1971, p.5) identify the first parish priest as Fray Manuel Vaquero, OAR - The account of Fr Lleva identifies a certain Fray Manuel de San Miguel, OAR as first parish priest citing the “Libro de Gobierno” of Manila from 1812-1815. There lies the possibility of the latter as the religious name of Fray Manuel Vaquero.

June 28, 1859

The Archdiocese of Manila decreed on July 1, 1859 the creation of the parish of San Jose de Navotas. The residents of San Jose celebrated this historic occasion that took three decades to realize.

Bryant, R. 2005. Navotas Kahapon, Ngayon at Bukas. 49 Daanghari Street, Navotas City: Regan Printers, Inc. pg. 19 – 20.

1 July 1859

The Parish and Town of San Jose de Navotas was founded under the patronage of St. Joseph.

From the parochial history of San Jose Parish, 2001, souvenir program

1866

The first visita “kamalig” was built as “Visita de Concepcion”.

Immaculate Conception Parish, Parochial History, Ang Munting Kasaysayan, 2001

1884

La Loma Catholic Cemetery (Formerly Cementerio de Binondo was opened

Gaerlan, Martin (2007-07-07). "Cementerio de Binondo (La Loma Cemetery)". Museo Santisima Trinidad.

1899

General Antonio Luna sought refuge in the church using the unfinished renovation for church extension at the back as a trench, launching their defense against the Americans.

Galauran, Fausto. Ang Kasaysayan ng Simbahang Katoliko ng Kalookan. (1964)

10 February 1899

At the latter part of the Battle of Caloocan, Gen. Luna continued to defend the town from the Americans but at the advance of the foreigners, the Filipinos were forced to give up. Many houses in the town were burned down with the church and the convent left standing. The Americans captured Caloocan and made use of the church as barracks and a field hospital. It was further utilized by the 20th Kansas Regiment under Col. Fredrick Funston.

Galauran, Fausto. Ang Kasaysayan ng Simbahang Katoliko ng Kalookan. (1964)

26 November 1902

Iglesia Filipina Independiente invaded the Visita Concepcion.

Immaculate Conception Parish, Parochial History, Ang Munting Kasaysayan, 2001, p 1

November 24, 1906

Supreme Court ordered the return of custody of the Visita Concepcion to the Roman Catholic Church

Immaculate Conception Parish, Parochial History, Ang Munting Kasaysayan, 2001, p 2

8 September 1907

By the power of Most Rev. Jeremias Harty, DD, then Archbishop of Manila he erected the Visita Concepcion as La Purisima Concepcion de Malabon Parish.

Immaculate Conception Parish, Parochial History, Ang Munting Kasaysayan, 2001, p 1

May 1920

Reddy Kilowatt arrived in Navotas and the electric lights were installed in the church for the first time. The young sacristans were overjoyed because they will no longer use the stairs to light the hundreds of candles in the crystal chandeliers.

1965. San Jose de Navotas Souvenir Program.

1946

The Oblates of Mary Immaculate arrived through the invitation of the then Archbishop of Manila, Michael J. O’Doherty.

Sison, C. (n.d.). History – Notre Dame of Greater Manila. Retrieved February 12, 2021, from https://ndgm.edu.ph/history

5 May 1946

Our Lady of Grace Parish in Grace Park Caloocan was founded. The first Parish Priest was Fr. Joseph Boyd, OMI

From the records of the Diocese of Kalookan, Chancery office – Profile of Parishes, p. 29

28 July 2003

Upon the creation of the new Diocese of Kalookan, the San Roque Parish of Kalookan was elevated to the rank of a cathedral.

“Quoniam Quaelibet”, Papal Bull by Pope St. John Paul II establishing the Diocese of Kalookan (June 18, 2003).

22 August 2003

The Most Rev. Deogracias S. Iniguez, Jr., D.D, the first Bishop of Kalookan, took possession of the cathedral church. Msgr. Boanarges Lechuga, PC, was the first rector of the cathedral.

Lleva, Edgardo. “A Glimpse of History: San Roque through the Decades” (2004) - Featured as one of the key events of 2003 in the 2004 Souvenir Programme for the Parish Fiesta of San Roque and the Virgen de la Nieva, (February 2004)

16 August 2013

The Diocese of Kalookan celebrated its 10th Anniversary in the cathedral church with a Eucharistic Celebration offered by the His Eminence, Gaudencio Cardinal Rosales, Archbishop-emeritus of Manila. Most Rev. Guiseppe Pinto, D.D., then Apostolic Nuncio to the Philippines was among the concelebrants. The cathedral’s first relic of San Roque was received in this Eucharistic Celebration.

2014

The commemoration of the 400 years’ anniversary of the San Bartolome Parish was celebrated. During the year’s celebration, the parish church was rededicated; the perpetual adoration chapel, the St. John XXIII Hall, the Quadricentennial stage and arch were inaugurated and blessed last May 10, 2014 headed by the Most Rev. Bernardito Auza, D.D. – the Apostolic Nuncio to Haiti.

2015

The Bicentennial Anniversary of San Roque Parish’s canonical establishment was celebrated with a Jubilee Year. Pope Francis imparted plenary indulgence for all those who would make pilgrimage to the cathedral church. The Jubilee Door was solemnly opened on this day by Kalookan’s then Apostolic Administrator, Most Rev. Francisco M. De Leon, D.D.

2 January 2016

The Most Rev. Pablo Virgilio S. David, D.D. took possession of the cathedral church as the second Bishop of Kalookan. He also assumed the position of parish priest.

2019

To mark the the celebration of its 160th founding anniversary, His Holiness, Pope Francis, appointed San Jose de Navotas Parish as a Jubilee Church. The Holy See bestowed a plenary indulgence upon all the Faithful who would visit the Church, following the usual conditions. The opening of the Jubilee Door was presided by Most. Rev. Pablo Virgilio David, Bishop of Kalookan. To further foster strong devotion to Saint Joseph, the Parish released its newly revised Novenario and devotional book, entitled "Ang Pamimintuho kay San Jose, Patron ng Navotas," a compilation of the Novena and other prayers to our beloved patron. The Parish Museum located on the left side of the Church was also opened and blessed this year. Lastly, to acknowledge the importance and contribution of the Parish's history in the locality, the Municipal Government of Navotas declared San Jose de Navotas Parish Church as a local heritage site of the town through the City Ordinance No. 2019-06.

25 February 2021

A decree issued to the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines (CBCP), Pope Francis granted plenary indulgences to Filipinos visiting any of over 500 Jubilee Churches across the country to mark 500 years of Christianity in the Philippines in 2021. The Diocese of Kalookan declared San Bartolome Parish in Malabon City, San Roque Cathedral Parish in Caloocan City and the Diocesan Shrine and Parish of San Jose in Navotas City as their jubilee churches.