AFTER SAN JOSE DE NAVOTAS PARISH was canonically erected on July 1, 1859, the construction of a provisional parish church started in November of the same year. It was in 1860, under the helm of Rev. Fr. Matias Naboa that the main altar was completed, the cemetery was inaugurated, and the belfry was erected. Right from the start, the parish boasted of a spacious churchyard.
Although the earthquake of June 1863 partially demolished the rectory, it was immediately reconstructed months after, through Fr. Naboa’s initiatives. Several improvements have been made since then, such as the construction of a complete, new parish complex, still under Fr. Naboa, and the baptistery, under the supervision of Rev. Fr. Manuel Perez. But, as another earthquake (1880) jolted the parish rectory, the parish priest, Rev Fr. Marcos Hernandez was forced to stay at the house of Capitan Juan Sioson, situated in front of the church. On June 1892, Rev. Fr. Tomas Agudo led the construction of the present–day parish, with the altar done by April 1895.
When the American Fleet of the post–Hispanic period under Commodore Dewey bombarded the town, the old Augustinian rest house in Banculasi was demolished. Rev. Fr. Nicolas Avedano, the first permanent Filipino parish priest of San Jose de Navotas Parish, took the parish records into Bigaa, Bulaan for safekeeping. Unfortunately, the battle front shifted to Bigaa, and everything that was kept was burned.
The Parish of San Jose de Navotas withstood other endeavors sturdily, from Aglipayan Schisms of the early 1900’s, the storm of October 16, 1934 that substantially damaged the church, to the invasion of Japanese armies and the aftermath of the battles. These scars give justice to the will of the people of Navotas; ever–dedicated, ever–faithful.
Saint Joseph, the husband of Mary
SAINT JOSEPH, THE MAN BETROTHED TO MARY THE MOTHER OF JESUS CHRIST, was chosen to be the human stepfather of Jesus in fulfillment of the scriptures, which says that the Messiah would come from the line of King David.
But though Joseph’s genealogy traces to King David, he had no evidences of royalty on him. He was a humble carpenter, living a simple life of principles and morals. In fact, when Joseph died, he had nothing to give Jesus but his ideals, and his title and his skills as a carpenter, or tektos in Greek, of Nazareth.
But more than his job, Joseph is well admired because of his courage and faith to the will of God. At the moment he learned about the pregnancy of Mary, he decided to silently end their engagement, which God has not intended. As the angel of God appeared to Joseph, he immediately followed its orders, taking care of Mary as she took the pains of childbearing, and afterwards loving Jesus as his real own son.
Saint Joseph is regarded as the patron saint of workers, and as the protector of the Church.
Daily Masses: 6:00 AM and 6:00 PM
Sunday Masses: 5:00 AM, 6:15 AM, 7:30 AM and 9:00 AM,
4:00 PM, 5:15 PM, 6:30 PM
Funeral Masses: Daily at 3:00 PM
BAPTISM Every Sunday at 11:00 AM
Special Baptism by appointment
CONFIRMATION Every March 19 & May 1(FIESTA)
Diocesan Shrine & Parish of San Jose de Navotas
Established: January 11, 1976
Fiesta Day: March 19 / May 1
Address: M. Naval Street, San Jose, Navotas City
Parish Priest/Rector: Rev. Fr. Rufino P. Yabut
Parochial Vicar/Visiting Priest: Rev. Fr. Paul Woo